Senior Big Data Engineer | CA
Requisition ID: 132127
Work Area: Software-Design and Development
Expected Travel: 0 - 10%
Career Status: Professional
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
As market leader in enterprise application software, SAP helps companies of all sizes and industries innovate through simplification. From the back office to the boardroom, warehouse to storefront, on premise to cloud, desktop to mobile device – SAP empowers people and organizations to work together more efficiently and use business insight more effectively to stay ahead of the competition. SAP applications and services enable customers to operate profitably, adapt continuously, and grow sustainably.
Location: Palo Alto, CA , USA
The SAP Data Business is an Executive Board-initiated startup unit with the vision of creating the world’s most trusted and most relevant end-to-end platform for actionable enterprise data services. We combine data engineering excellence with thought leadership and entrepreneurial spirit. We are looking to strengthen our core startup team with the expertise in big data engineering that is needed to execute on the unit’s vision.
As the senior big data engineer in our big data infrastructure team, you will play a crucial role in building the platform and services that collect, store, process, and continue the evolution to web-scale distributed systems, enable a variety of web-scale cloud services. We are looking to add experienced distributed systems engineers who can step up and own big chunks of that vision.
EXPECTATIONS AND TASKS
You fully understand the power of data for our customers, to discover and digest all their unknowns so that they can not only run their business more efficiently but turn their business upside down and create complete new business models. You embrace the principles of agility and customer centricity in a corporate context; ensuring cutting edge technology is leveraged to create beautiful data driven solutions and services. The business benefit of everything you do is on top of your mind.
You are primary responsible for the following deliverables
- Design, develop, debug, and operate resilient distributed systems that run across large amount of compute nodes in multiple datacenters
- Build tools/automation to manage cloud deployment & configuration of our infrastructure
- Own and manage the network topology and security of our big data infrastructure.
- Help do performance analysis and capacity planning for our infrastructure.
- Investigate new technology and potentially help to migrate the monolithic Hadoop infrastructure to a container based architecture
- Continue to evolve the deployment infrastructure, and potentially replace it with one of modern deployment framework like chef, puppet, etc.
- Coach and mentor less experienced colleagues and lead by example
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS / SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- You have a B.S. or M.S. Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience
- 8+ years of development experience, 5+ years of experience in deploying and managing large-scale distributed systems
- Mastery of Linux or Unix – you understand the operating system internals, filesystems, databases, network, compiler also a plus
- Experience with building, scaling and monitoring distributed systems like Datastores (e.g. Cassandra), Messaging Systems (e.g. Kafka), and Resource Management Systems (e.g. Mesos).
- You have extensive experience building and owning large-scale, multi-
- Willing to learn new technologies and take ownership. Should demonstrate owning components from conception to production.
- Experience using telemetry and metrics to drive operational excellence
- You are passionate in building tools and automation to make operations more repeatable and robust.
- You have extensive experience with cloud computing platforms (e.g. AWS, Microsoft Azure, etc.).
- Strong communication and relationship building skills with a strong intercultural sensitivity
- Strong customer focus and entrepreneurial mindset
SAP’S DIVERSITY COMMITMENT
To harness the power of innovation, SAP invests in the development of its diverse employees. We aspire to leverage the qualities and appreciate the unique competencies that each person brings to the company.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
SAP is committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity and to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with SAP and are in need of accommodation or special assistance to navigate our website or to complete your application, please send an e-mail with your request to Recruiting Operations Team (Americas:
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their age, race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.